This role takes the overall responsibility and accountability for the manufacturing function of KMK Rubber, which includes oversight and management of the Production, Maintenance, and Warehouse & Inventory Management functions.
Management, Strategy and Development
Responsible for overall strategic and tactical implementation of manufacturing and operational activities to maximize plant efficiency, optimise production levels and drive operational as well as quality excellence.
● Define and implement best practice manufacturing vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to ensure continuous improvement in all departments of the manufacturing function.
● Take ownership of management system related to the manufacturing functions. This includes the implementation and continuous improvements of any existing management systems, and development of any new process, controls, reports, or systems. Regular review of such management systems shall be performed in conjunction with top management.
● Perform weekly management meeting to report to top management team on factory performance and progress on all ongoing improvement initiatives.
● Define, monitor, control and improve Targets and Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for each department. KPIs shall be set up to the level of each manufacturing process and monitored daily (or monthly depending on definition) to ensure consistent performance of the manufacturing function.
● Identify activities for continuous improvement of the manufacturing functions. This includes but not limited to initiatives to increase compliance to higher standards, adoption and development of new technologies, and constant improvements and trainings in manufacturing practices.
● Present goals and milestones for overall factory performance improvement during monthly management meeting.
● Evaluate and document all internal and external factors revolving the manufacturing activities, and take actions to ensure any identified risks are mitigated and that opportunities are developed. KMK Risk Register for manufacturing related elements shall be reviewed and discussed with top management on a regular basis.
● Contribute to overall manufacturing expansion strategy and capital budget process.
● Oversee and lead compliance functions related to manufacturing functions, including but not limited to the aspects of domestic as well and international statutory, environment, safety and other interests of all stakeholders.
● In charge of liaison with internal and external key stakeholders pertaining manufacturing and operational activities.
Responsible to oversee the function of production at KMK, which plans and execute all internal operations required to produce parts according to customer requirements and engineering design. This role is to take ownership of all policies and procedures related to production and implement controls to ensure its proper implementation at every section.
● Oversee day-to-day factory activities and operations to ensure proper implementation of policies, rules and procedures. This includes regular Gemba and internal process audit activities at frequency as planned and agreed with top management.
● Conduct and lead Daily Production Meeting and the Monthly Management Meeting.
● Manage coordination and execution of production plan for timing and allocation of materials, manufacturing equipment and the size of workforce required to meet production deadline. This includes supervising production line and report anomalies at first instance to supporting teams, such as Purchasing Department, to ensure that the right methods, manpower, materials, and machinery are available when required.
● Present and submit Monthly KPI analysis and Daily Target Reports to top management for review and identification of improvement on a regular basis.
● Coordinate team activities to optimise cost performance of the plant through capital investment programmes, optimisation of work capital usages (such as inventory level), waste minimisation activities, and implementation of lean principles.
● Review and improve visual management in the production area. This includes systematic review and improvement of standard operating procedures and detailed production targets, up to the training and supervision of workers in production line on relevant standard operating procedures, targets and quality assurance protocols to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
● Responsible to manage and troubleshoot all deviations from production plan, and minimise downtime against production plan.
Responsible for the overall adequacy, availability and suitability of all infrastructure and environment related to the manufacturing function.
● Plan and execute maintenance activities to ensure that plant is kept efficient, safe and compliant.
● Drive improvements in reliability for key aspects of machinery by completing reliability studies and identifying best planned maintenance strategy
● Responsible to monitor, analyse and reduce consumption of energy such as electricity and gas. This should be achieved through initiatives, programmes or capital investment/improvement projects with proper documentations presented to the top management.
● In charge of machinery related downtime management and responsible for coordination during emergency to minimise downtime.
● Responsible to maintain and report inventory and documentation of equipment and machineries within the plant. This includes proposal to upgrade inefficient infrastructure, as well as to dispose obsolete and inefficient ones.
Warehouse and Inventory Management
Responsible to set vision, target and objectives to ensure that best warehouse and inventory management practices are planned and implemented in close liaison with other departments.
● Define and execute best warehouse practices. This includes development of procedure and regular process audit to ensure practices such as First-In First-Out (FIFO) are carried out properly.
● Support the Finance and Accounts Department to manage minimum stock level for production parts to ensure production processes are optimised.
● Support the Finance and Accounts Department to plan and implement monthly and annual stock taking activities to ensure transparency and accuracy of stock level.
● Implement stock ageing process in close liaison with Sales Department to ensure optimum level of stock level within the plant.
● Ensure the timely flow of data and information in the manufacturing areas to ensure transparent and accurate stock movement and level in the manufacturing area. This includes delivery orders, daily stock movement reports, production effectiveness reports, defective reports and so on.
● Identify and implement controls to ensure accuracy of stock level at each point of transference.
● Responsible to report monthly and yearly stock figure in each department and section within the manufacturing function.
Design and Development
Provides support and inputs during all stages of design and development of new product. This also includes the development of new infrastructure such as the planning, installation and commissioning of a new production line.
● Provide input from a manufacturing perspective at early stages if any new product development processes, coordinating with and supporting the new product development team to implement new and revised designs and developing effective processes to ensure manufacturability of product while maintaining quality, safety and environmental standards whilst achieving cost targets. For example, Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) and Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) for a new product.
● Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on manufacturing activities.
● Plan and manage execution to ensure the quality and on-time introduction of new products.
● Support project management and cross functional activities as and when required.
Responsible for providing clear leadership and vision to all subordinates thereby creating a dynamic work environment. This includes overall culture setting through implementation of appropriate people management process and structure in order to manage a diverse team in the factory efficiently and effectively.
● Define objectives related to people management at departmental level within the manufacturing function.
● Complete regular performance reviews, manage attendance, holidays, disciplinary issues and procedures as appropriate.
● Manage disputes and confrontations in the manufacturing areas, with aim to retain control of discipline and harmony and minimise disruptions.
● Make decision on disciplinary actions to be taken against non-compliance cases on a monthly basis in close liaison with Human Resources department.
● Responsible for the planning, execution, and evaluation of effectiveness of training plans for all members of the manufacturing functions.
● Plan and execute team building programmes and activities to ensure the harmony of working environment within the factory.
● Educated to degree level (preferably Masters) in a relevant engineering /manufacturing discipline.
● Demonstrable experience of leading a manufacturing function (including production, maintenance QA and EHS functions) with a proven track record in strategic manufacturing leadership delivering effective manufacturing strategies, policies, processes and systems.
● Strong ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements.
● Experience of operation and people management at a strategic level.
● Strong communication skills, both written and spoken, required for English and Bahasa.
● Experience and knowledge with polymer technology, particularly in rubber, preferred.
Perks & Benefits
- Nearby public transport
- Sabbatical leave
- Personal development opportunities