This role, as Head of Department, is to strategize, lead and catalyze the provision of world class info/infrastructure and conducive business environment for MSC Malaysia status companies and ICT investors, to strengthen Malaysia’s position as the preferred ICT investment location.
The role and function includes provide leadership, formulate and oversee the implementation of high impact programmes and initiatives, and provide strategic directions in the provisioning of competitive and conducive MSC Malaysia business environment, including the development of MSC Malaysia business locations and ensuring the readiness and delivery of demand-driven info/infra in strategic/high impact areas for MSC Malaysia status companies and ICT investors, in alignment to MDeC's goals and national aspirations.
This includes strategic stakeholder engagements, develop and recommend policy papers and interventions, ensure MSC Malaysia business locations, which includes strategic/high impact areas, MSC Malaysia Cybercities/Cybercentres and Digital Hubs, are globally competitive, attractive and can fulfill the needs of MSC Malaysia status companies, ICT investors, startups and internet companies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the delivery of MSC Malaysia info/infra in strategic and high impact locations according to investor’s requirements
- Spearhead, provide thought-leadership and lead the implementation and adoption of global best practices in MSC Malaysia business locations to enhance the attractiveness as the preferred ICT hub.
- Oversee the development of master plan/framework for strategic or niche cluster development for high impact projects.
- Lead and supervise the implementation of programmes and initiatives that will enhance the quality of services (QoS) to MSC Malaysia status companies and ICT investors.
- Strategize and obtain buy-in and commitment from external stakeholders for the adoption of international best practices in science/technology park management.
2. Catalyse the competitiveness of MSC Malaysia business locations as the preferred ICT investment hub for MSC Malaysia status companies and ICT investors
- Drive the development of new standards and service delivery levels in accordance to international practices to meet the global trends and requirements of ICT industry and investors
- Advocate, manage buy-in and secure commitment from utility providers, local authorities, security agencies and other relevant stakeholders to offer and deliver higher level of service delivery / SLA to MSC Malaysia status companies.
- Provide advice and thought-leadership to relevant external stakeholders to drive the competitiveness and increase the attractiveness of MSC Malaysia as the preferred ICT investment location.
3. Support the development of national policies and initiatives
- Participate and represent MDEC in provide strategic inputs, feedback and research via national and inter-agencies platforms with regards to MSC Malaysia and other MDEC initiatives
4. Oversee the establishment of new MSC Malaysia Cybercities, Cybercentres and Digital Hubs nationwide and lead the management of existing MSC Malaysia business locations
- Oversee, monitor and ensure good governance in the implementation of MSC Malaysia Cybercity, Cybercentre and Digital Hub status in accordance to the stipulated guidelines.
- Formulate new and review existing policies and processes, obtain buy-in and commitment from the Government and other relevant stakeholders on matters related to Cybercities, Cybercentres and Digital Hubs implementation.
5. Lead the development of strategies, business and functional plans, ensure effective delivery of KPIs and targets in alignment to Division and Corporate KPIs and goals.
- Lead the Business Environment Department in the development of strategies, objectives, business plans and tactical plans to implement programmes to deliver KPIs and targets, in alignment to MDeC’s vision and strategies
- Direct and oversee the formulation of rolling plans, targets setting and long term strategic planning and directions for department
- Obtain management’s buy-in and support on programmes and initiatives proposed by the department
- Spearhead and provide leadership to ensure committed targets and KPIs are achieved, and in timely manner
6. Oversee, monitor and lead the department to deliver the assigned programmes, projects and KPIs
- Provide leadership and effective management of team and available resources to deliver the assigned KPIs
- Monitor and oversee the management of staff performance to ensure that the assigned KPIs are met.
- Oversee the performance of unit/team and provide intervention to resolve any issues that affect performance.
- Manage and mitigate the risks that may affect the performance of the unit/team.
- Promote continuous businesses and processes improvement within the unit/team.
7. Assume responsibility for effective human resource management for unit/team under supervision
- Oversee staff development and succession planning.
- Oversee management and control of human resources within the unit/team, including effective delegation and deployment of staff.
- Plan and manage human capital requirement
8.Strategize, effective budget planning, sourcing of funds and optimal utilization of budget
- Oversee and ensure effective budget utilisation
- Ensure the operational excellence of resources management and efficiency of the budget utilization.
- Source for budget and devises ways to tap into external partners in financing programmes and initiatives to achieve business unit’s objectives.
9. Effective management of stakeholders
- Oversee, coordinate and manage the needs and operational requirements of MSC Malaysia status companies / MNCs / ICT investors related to info/infra and business location through the collaboration and collective efforts of multiple agencies, state machineries, entities and authorities.
- Direct inter-agency collaboration, industry and state engagement to address and fulfill the specific requirement of MSC Malaysia status companies, MNCs, startups and internet companies for investment and operations in MSC Malaysia business locations.
Degree in Engineering / Management
Minimum 12 years with extensive working experience in fields related to technology / science park management/implementation, ICT industry development, industry clustering, technical aspects of utilities provisioning, experience in performance and technical audit management, and startup ecosystem development
- Strategic and Analytical Thinking
- Organising for Achievement
- High-level Stakeholders Management
- Managing People
- Negotiation Skills
- Values/Organisational Commitment
- Continuous Learning and Improvement
- Internal and External Customer Focus
Technical Skills / Knowledge Specialization
- Startup Ecosystem Development
- Data Centre Industry
- Science / Technology Park management
- Industry Clustering
- Telecommunication and utilities provisioning
- Emerging technologies and international best practices
- Technical audit management and implementation
- International benchmarking and research
- Project Management
Perks & Benefits
Fixed Allowance for managerial level (petrol & car allowances)
Flex-time, Flex-place, Flex-benefit
Casual dress code
Dental & Optical