- Performs as a technical subject matter expert in the development of highly complex, innovative and cost effective database solutions
- Plans and manages implementation and integration of new technologies
- Provides ultimate direction for multiple projects and is responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems
- Acts as a consultant to development groups, technical teams, executives and customers
- Recognized regionally and internally as a technical and subject matter expert in a specialized field
- Serves as consultant to senior leadership on database programs and long-term systems strategies
- Provides expertise and guides work on complex database systems of great scope with advanced technical complexity that may have global impact
- Works with database functional management to initiate and lead strategic efforts
- Should be very strong in replication concepts and troubleshooting replication issues with in SLA.
- Extensive experience in designing and handling Disaster recovery/high availability.
- Failover Clustering
- Data Modeling
- Implementation experience in Enterprise wide automation tools/custom automation.
- Data Transformation and Loading
- Experience with SSIS and SSRS troubleshooting
- Upgrade from DTS to SSIS packages
- Backup the current code for rollback purposes
- Analysis - Analyze the data to determine the core problems
- Testing - Test the various options to ensure they perform better and do not cause worse performance in other portions of the application
- Plan growth and changes (capacity planning)
- Perform general technical trouble shooting and give consultation to development teams
- Interface with Microsoft Corporation for technical support.
- Patch Management and Version Control
- Should have good understanding of the MS SQL, related utilities and tools Identification - Use native tools like Profiler, Perfmon, system stored procedures, dynamic management views, custom stored procedures or third party tools
- Backing Up and Restoring SQL Server, Knowledge of ALL MS DB backup and recovery scenarios.
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures
- Backup tools, Performance tools, Check for failed processes
- Research errors, Validate disk space is not low, validate none of the databases are offline or corrupt
- Perform database maintenance : Perform both MS SQL and operating system performance tuning and monitoring
- Monitor application related jobs and data replication activities (Automated)
- Setup custom scripts to query for particular issues and email the team
- Write error messages centrally in the application and review that data
- Setup Operators and Alerts on SQL Server Agent Jobs for automated job notification
- Should have sound communication skills with management, development teams, vendors and systems administrators
- Setup and maintain documentation and standards
- Review the current process to understand what is occurring
- Determine what the business and technical problems are with the process Document the requirements for the new process
- Provide a strategic database direction for the organization
- Should have the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Should possess a sound understanding of the business
- Good understanding of the underlying operating system
- At least 12-15+ or more years working as a DBA and handling production critical databases/Servers.
- 10+ or more years of experience as a SQL Database Administrator/Engineer
- 10+ or more years of hands on Production/Development DBA/DBA experience.