It is very difficult to decide when to move on from a role or to tell your employer that it’s time for you to resign from the company. When your gut feeling tells you that you could be thriving in another place, learn more in a different job, or you are beginning to feel dissatisfied, perhaps it is high time for you to switch jobs or reinvent your current career path. Here are five questions that you should ask yourself to decide if you should look for a new job.
What is a good reason to change to a new job?
You are searching for better job prospects, professional growth and career opportunities in hopes of looking for new challenges at your job. Or you are leaving your current job due to a difficult work environment or dissatisfied with the current position.
Is it bad to switch jobs after a year?
It is best to remain at your current job for at least a year or two before considering moving to a new job. Frequently changing jobs every year will create a negative impression on your resume or any professional profile.
How often should you change the job?
Consider changing jobs at least every three to five years if you wish to grow and climb your career ladder. The only exception not to change job if you have adequate financial compensation, not burnout from work, positive career outlook and high sense of enthusiasm.
What you should consider before changing jobs
- Assess your reasoning
- Identify what you are looking for
- Fully understand the job package
- Review the company growth and advancement
- Consider your career growth and advancement opportunity
- Evaluate your salary
- Determine if the work culture is compatible or not
- Consider if the employee benefits worth or not
- Identify how work performance will be measured
Reasons you should not consider changing jobs
- Poor economy conditions
- When there is a significant change in your life either due to family, finance or health concerns
- Right before taking a long vacation trip
- Right at the end of the year
- You had a few bad moments at work
Follow us for more daily career insights and new hirings to land your dream job. Head over to Jobstore.com and unveil your next job opportunity.
You Jing is a content writer who writes career and lifestyle contents to inspire job seekers and employers alike on their journey to work-life balance, empowerment and transformation in their career path.
Reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org